Prof. Markus Mueller holds the Chair in Electrical Machines at the University of Edinburgh. He is the UK’s leading researcher in direct-drive linear wave energy generators. Previous projects include Supergen Marine Phase 2, WP 5 leader Power Take Off and Conditioning (35 papers were published from this work) and SNAPPER design and system modelling of a novel linear generator for wave energy, which won an Engineer Magazine Innovation Award in 2012. He is PI on the EPSRC All Electrical Drive Train for Marine Energy Converters (EDRIVE-MEC) project, EP/N021452/1.
The design of novel generator topologies for direct drive wave energy, wind energy and tidal current energy converters is his main area of research. The influence of the electrical design on the mechanical design and vice versa forms the main thrust of my research into low speed electrical machines. In order to generate the optimum machine design such an integrated approach must be adopted. His specialities include:
• Direct Drive Wave, Wind & Tidal Energy Systems
• Design and modelling of electrical machines
• Electrical machines for renewable energy applications
• Low speed electrical generators for wave, wind and tidal energy converters
• Actuators for solar powered pumps
• Permanent magnet and switched reluctance machines